There are five common home seller mistakes you need to avoid.
When you’re trying to sell your home, it can be stressful to properly prepare it. However, avoiding these five mistakes will make the process a lot smoother and give you a much better chance of selling quickly and for top dollar:
1. Picking the wrong agent. If your child needed surgery, you would want a surgeon who has performed a lot of successful surgeries of the type that you needed, right? Unfortunately, the vast majority of real estate agents don’t sell a lot of homes. In fact, the average agent only sells about eight homes per year. By comparison, our team sold 475 homes last year. We can give you the advantage of having an agent that has their thumb on the pulse of the market and a solid marketing plan to get your home sold.
2. Overpricing your home. Homebuyers are so well educated these days and can find out anything they need to know about a home online. That’s why price is everything when marketing your home. Most buyers won’t even bother looking at a property if it is overpriced. There is a magic window of timing for selling your home. The longer it sits on the market, the staler it becomes, which will eventually force you to drop the price. We know the Triangle market and study the numbers every day so we can put our 30 years of experience to work for you from the moment you hire us.
“I understand if you’re emotionally attached to your house, but when you sell it, you need to think of it as a property.“
3. Only consider the highest-priced offer. The offer to purchase is 13 pages long and the price is just one item on the document. We work hard to get our clients not only the best price, but also the best terms. Due diligence, inspections, and closing dates are just as important.
4. Not getting your home ready for market. No one is saying that you need to remodel your kitchen, but little things go a long way in highlighting your property. We can put you in touch with some of the best vendors out there and do an on-site home evaluation through a professional stager. We’ve built 30 years of great relationships that you can use to your advantage.
5. Getting too emotional. Always treat your home sale as a business transaction, even if you’re listing with a friend. Lean on your agent for the tough parts of the home sale. Our team can be the strong arm you need throughout your sale and until closing.
If making a move in 2020 is one of your goals, let’s have a conversation about how we can help. As always, if you have any questions about this or any other real estate topic, don’t hesitate to reach out to me via phone, email, or Facebook messenger. I’d be happy to help you.